Thursday, April 1, 2021

Tarnished Crown - Caitlyn Dare


Ruminations of an Insomniac..

Once again, I found myself at the edge of my seat. In her continuation of the world of the Gravestone Elite, Caitlyn Dare spared no detail. There is a few points that I will admit definitely need the warning provided in the synopsis, but I felt they were critical to the tone of the story. Starcrossed feels like incomplete terminology for Bexley and Mia. But in this world, where decisions are rarely their own, it fits better than anything else I can come up with. 

This second book shows us more of Mia's capacity but also had me shaking my head at her, like a parent witnessing the antics of a child with misplaced confidence. That said, she has progressed from fickle to calculated; weighing her decisions, following her gut more than her heart. And Bexley, dear Bexley. I have to say that he disappointed me in parts of this book. I understand his choices, but that doesn't mean they weren't unfortunate. But fear not, I sincerely feel that he was merely biding time, through those choices.

"We are but pawns in his game, and as I'm learning, the price of dissension is sometimes far greater than the price of submission." - Mia Thompson

The cliffhanger on this one left my heart racing, for many reasons. I'm so deeply grateful to Caitlyn for releasing Gravestone in the manner that she has. Because absolutely cannot wait to read the conclusion of this trilogy soon. If Shattered Legacy was the foundation, Tarnished Crown is the framing. And I can't wait to see this house completed, in all it's glory. In the meantime I'll be over here, mulling over the countless possibilities of the conclusion. Granted, I'm not sure anything will actually prepare me for what's to come. 

Rating:

Book Boyfriend: 8/10
Flow: 10/10
Plot: 9/10 

Overall: 9/10


Currently available on Kindle (and Kindle Unlimited).

Synopsis

Waking up the morning after the night before, Bexley soon realizes his life will never be the same.

He’s Electi now.
One of them.
Everything that Mia despises.

She says she’s done, that his betrayal is too much of a burden to bear, but Bexley refuses to let her go.

When Mia wakes up the morning after the night before, she realizes she has two choices: accept her fate or fight.

She’s stronger now.
Unwilling to submit.
Determined to uncover the truth.

But to defeat the devil sometimes you have to walk through hell. Even if you risk losing the one person you really care about.

As the lies and secrets pile up around them, will Bexley be able to protect the girl he’s falling for...

Or will he lose himself and Mia to Gravestone’s dark history for good?

Tarnished Crown is the second book in the Gravestone Elite trilogy. It contains mature content that some readers may find disturbing. You have been warned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment