Monday, August 30, 2021

Suicide Season - Yolanda Olson

Ramblings of a Bookworm...

I'm going to start off this review with a warning, since the book itself contains none, and I wish it had: This book is not for the faint of heart. It contains gore and disturbing scenes in the first few chapters.

Maybe it seems obvious, given the title and the fact that it's classified as an MM Vampire Romance, or if you've heard of the author before, but oh boy... I was not prepared. 

Now that that's out of the way, let's review...

Overall, the story was interesting. It was a very quick read, separated into three parts with three different perspectives. It was unique and very different from anything I've ever read before.

The characters were complex enough to be believable and the detailed imagery of the scenes was enough to create a movie in my mind.

I feel like I was left with a lot of questions, but as this is only book 1 of a series, I feel like that's to be expected.

Knowing what I know now, I probably won't be grabbing the next book because it simply was not my genre, however I can see and appreciate the appeal. Whilst not your average romance, the relationship between the two mains was unique and oddly adorable.

Rating:

Flow: 6/10
Plot: 6/10 

Overall: 6/10

It’s a vicious cycle.

Stop, start. Stop, start.

We move when the hunt has ended in one place, only to begin again.

It has nothing to do with the warmth of spring and summer or the chill of autumn and winter. Our seasons are measured by something else entirely. And while I sometimes wonder if he’ll ever tire of his god games, I also know that he enjoys it far too much to ever stop.

Hunger is never an issue for us, and because of that, what we are isn’t apparent. I prefer animals, and so does he in a roundabout way. It’s how he sees humans—as animals that lack the common instinct to survive when presented with something beautiful.

As we leave our current home for the next, I wonder what time has in store for us. Whatever it may be, as long as we’re by each other’s sides, nothing else will matter.

We’ve already gone to the end.

Now it’s time for the cycle to repeat itself.

1 comment: