Friday, August 27, 2021

Dirty Curve - Meagan Brandy

Bookworm and Insomniac- Dual Review

Ramblings of a Bookworm..

 Meagan Brandy, once again, "hit the ball out if the park". With one of the best character arcs I think I've ever read, Dirty Curve has secured its spot as one of my top 5 books of 2021, no question about it.

She’s fire, I know it, and call me a fuckin’ pyro ‘cause, goddamn if I don’t crave the flame. - Tobias Cruz

One of the many things I've always loved about Meagan Brandy's books is her strong female leads, and this one was no exception. Meyer is brilliant, hard-working, and an all around beautiful person. Tobias is a hard-headed stereotypical golden boy, but there's more to him than meets the surface.

Not going to lie, I struggled for the first few chapters. Not because of the story in itself, but because of Tobias. The texts I sent to my partner in crime whilst reading were less than stellar and I labeled him a firm 0/10 on the BB scale. But like I said, this book had one of the best character arcs I've ever read, and he definitely redeemed himself as more of him was revealed. It was a solid reminder that there's more to people than meets the eye, and you should never judge someone at face value.

 

Rating:

Book Boyfriend: 10/10 
Flow: 9/10
Plot: 10/10
Overall: 10/10

 

Ruminations of an Insomniac..

 I've said it before and I'll probably repeat it again, but it takes a lot to render me speechless. Yet Meagan never fails to do it. Dirty Curve tested my patience in the beginning, but I know that nothing is ever quite as it seems. 

Meyer and Tobias made my heart stutter. Their dynamic isn't one you come across often, even in book world. The girl has secrets and the boy keeps his promises. She was bold and brave and brilliant. He was a smoking hot, arrogant asshole. The heat he brought, melted the walls of wax she built. While her reality lit a spotlight on his soul.

 "Expect it. Whatever it is, expect it, want it, demand it even... Girl, you didn't even want the spot, the way I remember it, but you stole it regardless." - Tobias Cruz

 I was in so deep, and Meagan threw curveball after curveball. Hitting the mark every time, she pitched a no-hitter. And in the final inning, she wound up at bat. And in the moment her bat connected to the ball, the echoing grand slam stole my breath. (I couldn't help myself, ha, sorry) But in all seriousness, Meagan has this way of dropping these catalyst moments, building a world and making you get lost in it; before she snatches the ground out from under your feet. That said, she may shatter us with her words, but she always makes sure to catch all our broken pieces on a soft place to land.

Rating:

Book Boyfriend: 9/10 
Flow: 10/10
Plot: 10/10
Overall: 9.5/10

 

Currently available on Kindle (and Kindle Unlimited).

 

Synopsis:


You know how in college there’s that one guy everyone wants to be?
That’s me. 
I’m the top dog. 
The number one. 
The big man on campus.

Some say those things are solid wins. 
My new tutor would disagree. 

My title means nothing to her. 
My status lost on her. 

And now my mind? That sucker is stuck on her. 

She was told to make our sessions priority over all, to drop everything when I need her, and come to me. She does.  
But I don’t want to steal her time anymore. 
I want to earn it. 
If anyone can do that, it’s me. 

I’m Tobias Cruz, the king of the curveball. I don’t lose. 
Not the game, and surely not the girl. 

Little did I know, this girl has a secret...and it’s the dirtiest curve yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment